It is once again time to play…
I sandwiched the samples from each of the original pokeberry dyebaths between heavy cardboard and taped it up against a south-facing window for a month. All yarn is 100% wool mordanted with vinegar only. Here are the results:
Pokeberry–Second Dyebath (First exhaust)
Pokeberry—Third Dyebath (Second Exhaust): These are on superwash wool. Somehow I didn’t test the skein of regular wool from this bath. Not sure why.
So far, I think everything is as should be expected. We know that pokeberry is not normally lightfast, but that with proper mordanting and dyeweight ratios, can be made more so. You can see a substantial difference in the lightfastness between the original dyebath and the two exhaust baths. Here is the good news. This lightfastness test was conducted in a room in my house lovingly known as The Snug, short for Snuggery, aka the Sun Room. It is a very tiny little nook of a room made entirely of mullioned windows. For the purposes of this post, that means that anything in the room gets not only full south-facing sun, but also east and west sun, as well. The photos you’ve seen so far are of the side of the yarn which had direct south-facing exposure pressed right up on the glass. The next series of photos are of the back side of the exposed yarn—the side exposed to normal daily levels of ambient light from the east and west windows. You can just see the outlines of the direct-exposed areas. It’s like the yarn has tan lines. Look at this:
Second Dyebath (First Exhaust)
Third Dyebath (Second Exhaust)
Pretty cool, huhn? The first dyebath had almost no fading on the ambient-exposed side of the yarn. The exhaust baths had very little. I think this is a good sign that these pokeberry dyed yarns will stand up to regular wear in normal lighting. I mean, it’s not like anyone is going to be wearing handknit items when the UV levels are crazy high, so I’m not terribly worried about it. I’m particularly impressed with the cold dye process. Not only did it dye awesomely, but it was the most lightfast out of the bunch, too. The back side of the sample was as purple as the covered section. It was just hard to get a good picture of it.
Next, I’ve got to get lightfastness tests of the raceme dyelots. Gotta wait for more sun, though. Until then,
Live happy, dye happy!